vanilla frosting (homemade or ready-to-spread) (125 mL)
Assorted sprinkles and small candy decorations
21 to 30 yellow candy stars
1. Prepare FUDGEY SPECIAL DARK BROWNIES; cool completely in pan. Tint frosting to desired shade of green; place in pastry bag with piping tip. Cover tip to prevent drying; set aside. Line tray or cookie sheet with wax paper.
2. Lift brownie from pan using foil as handles. Place on cutting board; peel back foil. Trim brownie edges; cut brownie lengthwise into 3 strips approximately 2-1/2 inches (6.25 cm) wide. Cut each strip into triangles (see diagram) or to get exactly 30 triangles follow directions below.
3. Place reserved 1 tablespoon (15 mL) chocolate chips from brownie into small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 15 seconds; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 10 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chips are melted and smooth when stirred. Dip tip of pretzel into melted chocolate; push into bottom of triangle brownie being careful not to push through top of brownie. Place on prepared tray.
4. Pipe frosting onto each triangle in tree-like pattern. Immediately add sprinkles or other toppings to decorate. Top with yellow candy star. Allow frosting and toppings to set. Store finished trees in one flat layer in cool, dry place.
Makes 21 to 30 brownie trees.
FUDGEY SPECIAL DARK BROWNIES
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa (175 mL)
1/2 tsp baking soda (2 mL)
2/3 cup butter or margarine, melted and divided (150 mL)
1/2 cup boiling water (125 mL)
2 cups sugar (500 mL)
1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour (325 mL)
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
1 cup HERSHEY'S CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (250 mL)
1. Heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 13x9x2-inch (33x23x5-cm) baking pan with foil, extending foil beyond sides of pan.
2. Stir together cocoa and baking soda in large bowl; stir in 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter. Add boiling water; stir until mixture thickens. Stir in sugar, eggs and remaining 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter; stir until smooth. Add flour, vanilla and salt; blend completely. Set aside 1 tablespoon (15 mL) chocolate chips; stir remaining chips into batter. Pour into prepared pan.
3. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until brownie begins to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
DIRECTIONS TO CUT 30 TRIANGLES:
1. Cut brownie into 3 strips as directed above.
2. Working with one strip at a time and working from left to right, measure and place toothpick every two inches (5 cm) along bottom of strip. Repeat process on upper edge of strip, but work from the right toward the left.
3. Starting at lower left corner of strip, connect corner to first mark from upper left side of strip; cut. Cut from that point to point 2 inches (5 cm) from bottom left. Repeat procedure until 10 triangles are cut.
4. Repeat for remaining 2 brownie strips. Discard or nibble on end pieces.
Top 5 HERSHEY'S CHIPITS Cookie Recipes
There's nothing better than a warm cookie fresh from the oven. Can you guess our most popular cookie recipe?